Why everyone should be concerned about fertility issues
Why is this becoming such a big problem in our society and how this affects those of us that do not want children, have had our children already as well as those of us who still want children? Men, it is worth for you also to read to the end as this affect you greatly.
It is to do with our food and environment. Our food has become adulterated in a very alarming way. Food not only affects fertility rates but also it increases our cancer risk.
The main factor in the environment is something called Xenoestrogens. This means a chemical (it may be a pesticide or even a chemical spray as a perfume) will attach itself to a molecule and disrupts hormone function. This can lead to an increase in certain cancers, weight gain (particularly around the hips) and infertility.
One of my patients commented on Friday that she was no longer sure of what she could eat after reading my guidelines how to improve fertility by avoiding the foods that play a role in blocking fertility.
The basic principles are
- Wash your fruit and vegetables very well to get rid of the pesticides. You can either buy the ready-made products or here is a link if you want to make your own. (http://www.epicurious.com/archive/blogs/editor/2014/09/diy-fruit-vegetable-washes-store-bought.html ) Or prize number one eat organic foods.
- Eat organic meat as much as possible.
- Avoid anything that may contain xenoestrogens which can disrupt the normal hormone functions. Which means avoiding most chemicals.
- Avoid using plastic that gets heated. This includes plastic water bottles left in the car, or cling wrap used over food in a microwave.
- Avoid darker coloured lipsticks – most of these contain lead. Yip! lead as in a heavy metal. (for a list of lead containing products: http://www.motherjones.com/environment/2013/05/study-lead-metals-lipstick-top-20)
Some foods have been classified as the dirty dozen – these foods you want to make sure you avoid, clean properly or choose organically grown alternatives. The clean foods is ok to eat conventionally grown.